Amanda Bynes’ conservatory is coming to an end. In a preliminary ruling, Ventura County Supreme Court judge Roger L. Lund ruled that Bynes no longer needs a conservatory, The LA Times reported.
“Applicant has submitted facts that guardianship is no longer necessary. In the Declaration of Jurisdiction, filed on 22-02-22, it is concluded that the custodian is authorized to give informed consent to any form of medical treatment. The court finds that the custody is no longer required and that justifies the institution of a guardianship of the person no longer exist,” said Judge Lund. “The court intends to grant the termination request and to end the custody of Amanda Bynes.” Her hearing is scheduled for March 22, where her conservatory will formally end.
The 35-year-old actor’s conservatorship began in August 2013. On February 23, Bynes filed court documents in LA requesting that her person and her estate be terminated as conservator, People reported. “Amanda wants to end her guardianship. She believes her condition has improved and protection by the courts is no longer necessary,” her attorney, David A. Esquibias, told the outlet.
Bynes has also submitted a capacity statement, per page six. A capacity statement is a California-mandated form to be completed by a physician, psychologist, or religious medicine practitioner used to determine whether a person is medically fit to terminate their parental custody. Bynes has scheduled a preliminary hearing for March 22.
In 2013, Bynes was placed in temporary receivership under her mother, Lynn, after being placed in 5150 involuntary psychiatric waiting room for allegedly setting a fire in a neighbor’s driveway. She was placed on another 5150 hold in 2014 and her mother was named her permanent curator. Last year, reports came that her conservatorship had been extended until 2023. However, her attorney told People that a status report on the actor’s health was filed in September 2021, and she will receive an update on her conservatorship status in January 2023.
Bynes’ parents will not attend their daughter’s hearing, but their lawyer told NBC News they fully support the end of her conservatory. “The parents are happy, excited to get this good news,” attorney Tamar Arminak told the outlet on Feb. 25. “The professionals say she is ready to make her own life choices and decisions and are so proud of her. They are 100% supportive of her decision to end the conservatory.”
On March 8, Bynes returned to Instagram with a new account, addressing her nine-year conservatorship. “What’s up, Instagram? Amanda Bynes here,” she says in the clip. “My court date is in two weeks. I want to thank you all so much for your love and support. Rest in peace.” She also tagged the media with ‘People’, ‘E! News” and “Us Weekly” in her caption.