Pat King: ‘Freedom Convoy’ Organizer Out Of Frustration With Courtroom Live Streamers

Pat King, one of the organizers behind last month’s “Freedom Convoy” protest in downtown Ottawa, expressed frustration at people livestreaming his lawsuits during a brief court hearing Monday.

King, 44, is charged with mischief, counseling to commit mischief, counseling to commit the offense of disobeying a court order and counseling to obstruct justice.

During his performance Monday, King spoke out to request a publishing ban, citing “co-defendants” he says posted the hearings on social media. There have been several instances where individuals have been accused of live-streaming court proceedings for various high-profile convoy participants, which is illegal.

Justice of the Peace Stephen Dibblee reminded the 150 or so people in the courthouse Zoom meeting that recording, broadcasting or rebroadcasting any of the proceedings is a crime. He told any supporters who might listen that such actions are “not helpful to Mr King”. In regards to a publication ban, none was issued Monday. King was advised to submit a written request.

King was arrested on February 18 and has been in custody ever since. Other high-profile figures within the convoy movement, including Tamara Lich and Chris Barber, have since been released on bail.

King is due to appear in court again on Thursday. The court has suspended his case to give him time to contact his new lawyers.

The three-week occupation of downtown Ottawa to protest COVID-19 public health measures and other grievances cost the city of Ottawa an estimated $36.6 million, most of it for police response.

Leave a Comment