Bestinau got that-
An experienced Toronto police officer has admitted to leaking the address of a London murder victim to his son, who is accused of the 2020 murder that made international headlines.
Det.-Const. Trevor Gregory, 47, appeared on video Friday in a London courtroom pleading guilty to breach of trust.
The son of suspended Toronto police officer, Keiron Gregory, 23, is charged with second-degree murder on June 21, 2020, the death of Bill Horrace, 44, an alleged Liberian warlord shot in the south-east London home where he lived with his wife and two children.
Keiron Gregory contacted his father the day before the deadly shooting, saying that a man he met at a Toronto hotel “had defrauded him of a large sum of money through an illegal counterfeit money scheme,” according to an agreed statement from facts read by assistant Crown Advocate Konrad de Koning.
The younger Gregory gave his father a license plate of the Honda Civic the man was driving. The elder Gregory used his Toronto police account to check the license plate on Carfax, but it only gave the model of the vehicle, not the owner’s name or address.
Det.-Const. Gregory, who was off duty at the time, contacted several police officers to check the license plate, but got no response, so he called 53rd Division and had an officer interrogate the plate claiming it was a suspicious vehicle.
The officer gave the name of the vehicle’s owner, Joyce Horrace, Bill Horrace’s wife, and her London address to Det.-Const. Gregory, who wrote it on a piece of paper. The older Gregory called his son and told him to come to his house, where he invited him in and into a room where he had put a piece of paper.
“Trevor said nothing to Keiron about the paper and walked out of the room. While Trevor was out of the room. † † Keiron took a photo of the piece of paper that was later found on Keiron’s mobile,” said de Koning.
“The accused admits that he was deliberately blind to the transmission of information and thus is responsible for Keiron obtaining the information on the piece of paper as if he had given it to him directly.”
There was no indication that the elder Gregory knew Horrace would be the victim of a murder, the King said.
But Det.-Const. Gregory, who knew his son was involved in illegal activities, has not reported the alleged theft to police, said the King, who is seeking jail time for the 23-year-old Toronto police officer.
Attorney David Butt said he would provide extensive letters of reference for his client and working documentation. A ruling will be made on April 20.
Det.-Const. Gregory, who is still suspended with pay, continues to face four charges of professional misconduct under the Police Services Act, which requires the police to hold disciplinary hearings related to professional misconduct. The case will resume after the criminal case is concluded.
The statement of facts read into the report Friday also included details about Horrace’s death, some of which had previously been alleged in a civil lawsuit and Det.-Const. Gregory’s professional misconduct case.
Four men broke into a house at 232 Pochard Lane, south of the Clarke and Gore roads, and shot Horrace in the chest before stealing $20,000 in cash and a cell phone. Investigators found Keiron Gregory’s phone in the living room and his blood was found throughout the house and in a vehicle later recovered in Toronto, the court heard.
Keiron Gregory was arrested in North Bay three weeks after the fatal shooting and later released on bail. His preliminary hearing began earlier this month.
Horrace’s widow, children and siblings have filed a lawsuit against Trevor and Keiron Gregory, the Toronto Police Department, retired former chief Mark Saunders, the Toronto Police Board and three unnamed men.
The lawsuit alleges that the Toronto Police Department was negligent in allowing the father and son access to information in the police database for committing crimes and says the police did not do enough to prevent the disclosure of that information.
The death of Horrace, who had seven children by three different women, has caused “extraordinary emotional shock and mental pain to all members of his family,” the 17-page lawsuit claims.
Horrace was being investigated by Canada’s Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Program, according to a 2010 article in Maclean’s magazine that cited witness statements accusing Horrace and the men under his command of atrocities, including murder, rape and torture.
But Horrace, who arrived in Canada in 2002, claimed he became a chaplain to the self-proclaimed government in rebel-held territory at age 17 before fleeing the country after arguing with a commander who ordered him to go to the front lines. . on documents filed for his permanent residence offer that was in progress at the time of his death.