State police will not comment on audio obtained by AP of investigators roasting state trooper at center of Ronald Greene murder

In the interview with state trooper Chris Hollingsworth, investigators are skeptical of his story, referring to police body-camera videos that were later made public in which Hollingsworth and other officers taser Greene, drag him out of his car, and beat him with a gun. flashlight .

The audio obtained by the AP of what is reportedly a two-hour interview provides the final details to be made public in the investigation. In a story and edited clips of the audio made public by the AP, Hollingsworth reportedly told investigators, “I was scared. He could have done anything once my grip on him was broken — and that’s why I hit him.”

The case, which has attracted national attention, is under federal investigation and is also under investigation by a committee in the Louisiana House of Representatives.

Greene’s family was told by state police that Greene was killed in a car accident, but nine body-camera and dash-camera videos released by state police last year — more than two years after Greene’s death — told a different story. about what happened on the night of May 10, 2019, near the town of Monroe.

State police declined to comment on the latest audio, telling CNN they had turned over all of the evidence they had gathered to federal investigators. The Louisiana Governor’s office and Patrick Scott Wolleson, a Hollingsworth attorney, did not immediately return a request for comment from CNN. Members of the special legislative committee told CNN that the committee was in the process of subpoenaing the video.

Hollingsworth was due to be fired for violations of his body-worn camera and car camera systems, use of force, acting, lawful orders and for conduct befitting an officer, but he died in a car accident before he could be fired, officials said. .

According to the AP account of the incident, Greene offered no resistance.

In the new audio clips, Hollingsworth can be heard saying, “I wasn’t trying to use deadly force against him, I just wanted to free my arm.”

The researchers interviewing Hollingsworth are skeptical: “According to this video, at least in our view, it seems you never gave him a chance to get out of the car. You pretty much run to the window and within a second or two, you feel it. How come?”

Hollingsworth said he was “afraid he would hurt myself” and a colleague. He continued: “I didn’t mean to be demeaning and I didn’t know how serious the injuries were.”

Ron Haley, attorney for Greene’s family, told CNN that the family heard the audio.

“The family heard the audio through a leak,” Haley told CNN by phone. He said a gag order limits him from what he can say about the case, but added: “I know we can’t rush a federal investigation. But it seems the goal line is being pushed back further and further. Now we move on to year three and we still have no charges.”

According to a culpable homicide lawsuit filed by Greene’s family, the family was initially told that Greene was killed in the crash. A Glenwood Medical Center report listed the leading cause of death as cardiac arrest and described an “unspecified injury” to Greene’s head. Post-mortem photos published on the NAACP Baton Rouge Facebook page showed major abrasions to Greene’s skull and bruises on his cheeks.

The troopers involved have claimed that Greene’s death “was caused by crash-related blunt force trauma to the chest that resulted in a fractured sternum and ruptured aorta”, and have claimed they had to use force to detain him “for their own personal safety and for the safety of the public,” according to court documents.

A report of the Louisiana State Police Criminal Investigations Division investigation into Greene’s remanded death called a “battle” with state poachers.

“A short time later, Greene became unresponsive and was transported to Glenwood Medical Center by Pafford Medical Service,” the report said. According to the LSP report, Greene died on the way to the medical center.

Audio from Hollingsworth’s body camera, released by state police, revealed a telephone exchange in his patrol vehicle after the beating. He starts by saying that Greene was drunk.

“And I knocked the ever-living f**k out of him, strangled him and everything else to get him under control and we finally got him in handcuffs when a third guy got there and ab*tch’s son was still on it was fighting and we were still struggling with him trying to hold him because he was spitting blood everywhere,” Hollingsworth said in the video.

He adds, “and then all of a sudden he just went limp.”

Leave a Comment